Sunday 26 May 2013

The end of an era

As was mentioned in my previous entry about the school newspaper, the grade twelves just graduated.  And, as is the tradition amongst IB students in our school, it is the duty of the grade eleven students to buckle down and plan their end-of-CAS banquet.  Leading up to the banquet on Wednesday we organized everything:  food, decorations, set-up... I was on the hosting and electronics committees.  We were all a bit worried about how it would turn out, but somehow some tablecloths, balloons, twinkly lights, and tulips turned the school cafeteria into a wondrous place that was not quite as grungy as the school cafeteria.  Honestly, it ended up looking rather nice.  After we were done with set-up, we went and got pizza, so that was also a perk.  Then we were back to greet people at the door, direct them on where to go, and also take in and out food from the kitchen.  I was only supposed to host, but I ended up helping carrying a lot of the food around as well.


As I mentioned before, I was also in charge of electronics, so during set-up Adrian and I worked to get the projector and sound systems working.  Mostly that entailed using pre-calc textbooks to get the projector at the right angle.  My other job in electronics was to get the music ready, and the soundtrack I made was a combination of graduation-ish songs and scores from musicals, since the 12s were big Les Mis fans.  I figured finding grad music would be quite easy, but I was really surprised about how long it took me to make my 20-song playlist.


I was told we'd be able to hook the iPod directly into the sound system, but as it turned out we only had a CD player to work with, so there was some last-minute CD burning to do.  Aside from that, I'd say things went pretty smoothly.  It's hard to imagine a year from now we'll be in the twelves' place... actually, it's kind of a scary thought.  By that point we'll have applied to universities, written IB exams, chosen programs... it's hard to imagine that a year from now the direction of our lives will be planned out so much more than they are now.  So much will change in a year.

Next year, we'll be the grade twelves, and we'll be sharing our hallway, our classrooms, and our parties with a new set of students.  The fourteen people we've grown to know will be off at university, doing completely new and different things.  And soon enough, we'll be them.

Still, we're not quite there yet.  In the words of one of the stereotypically-cheesy grad songs included on my playlist, "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment